Normally I just throw that stuff away, but yesterday I thought of a neat little trick to turn the scraps into a passably cute headband.
I started with my cast-off hem and sliced along one seam so that it was just a strip of fabric. If your seams are particularly obtrusive you might want to experiment with cutting at different points so that the lines fall more aesthetically on the finished product.
Using the original hem as a guide I folded over the raw edge of the fabric and pinned it into place. Then I used this stitch to sew the two sides together.
At this point all that was left was to find tassels so that I could tie the headband at the back of my head. I ended up using some scraps from a previously cannibalized vest, but the other discarded hem could come into play as well.
*blurry pictures will be replaced later today.