Monday, May 14, 2012

How to Make Caramelized Syrup

I promised quite a while ago that I would do a tutorial the next time I made myself some of my favorite syrup.
 Not that it took this long for the last batch to run out,  just that this is is the approximate amount of time it takes for me to get off of my butt.

Here is what you will need for the recipe

4 cups of sugar (divided)
2 cups of water
3/4 cups of corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 pinch of salt

This recipe is actually really easy once you know what you're doing.  The only real commitment here is time, and the worst thing that could happen is a slightly blackened pan. So after you read this I highly suggest you try it.

Start off by putting two of the four cups of sugar into a heavy-bottomed pan,  mine is aluminum but the recipe itself calls for iron.   I don't  actually think it matters.

At this point I also suggest setting aside the rest of the ingredients so that you have them ready.  If you don't then the rush will kill your syrup near at the end.


Turn the sugar onto a medium high heat, and start stirring with some manner of heatproof spatula.

For a bit you wont see anything happening but then the bottom of the pan will begin to glisten ad your sugar will slowly start to clump up.


This is called caramelization boys and girls and it is a magical, tasty thing.



Keep stirring the sugar until all of the granules are melted. It's important to make sure that you continuously scrap the bottom of the pan so that none of it burns.

Once all of the sugar melts add the water, sugar, and corn syrup.

Here's a video demonstration for the inclined.



The important bit is that you should step back when you pour the water in and to stir it as quickly as possible.  This way the solidified clumps don't stick to the bottom of the pan.*

Once upon a time I let the clumps stick to the bottom of my pan, then I thought it would be a good idea to try to pry them off with my spatula, and then slowly a butter knife. 

It was a very bad idea.

Turn down the heat to a medium warm and continue to stir until all the sugar dissolves.

Add the vanilla and salt,  and this syrup is ready to drizzle over your favorite breakfast good.

It tastes like Ambrosia guys, promise.

I'll have to think of some clever way to decorate the bottle.  Any Idea?




*Come to think of it you probably didn't need to see the rest of it, I'm not sure why we left it running for so long. For your entertainment? 



No comments:

Post a Comment